Yio Remote Community

Implement Network Scan / direct HW control

Would love to see a Feature like:
1- Scan your local Network during first Setup and Check ability to Control found Devices
2- Control devices (e.g. Sonos) direclty via Remote
3- Backchannel to used Backend (Homey, HA, …) to provide control possibilitys

When this is used, the Remote itself doesn’t need a Backend to be used, but can be implemented.

1 Like

Hi there @Carp3-noctem,

I will do my best to not have stupid questions/answers in this response. :sweat_smile:
Yio Remote is developed as add-on to a Home Automation software like HA, Domoticz, OpenHAB etc. It’s not really a stand-alone kind of remote as of yet. Thus making this request a bit obsolete in my opinion. The Home Automation software should have discovered all of your devices already or at least the devices you wish to control.

But please correct me if I am wrong. I am quite new to this Home Automation world. Started like 2-3 weeks ago :sweat_smile:

1. So with the above in mind, would you think it’s still necessary for Yio Remote to scan the local network for devices and and maybe further explain why? Could be that I am missing something important here.

2. Same as my response to request 1.

3. Sorry, I did not quite understand what you ask here. Could you please clarify it for me?

Thank you for your time and patience :smiley:

Not OP but I think @Tosko’s response looks correct. I believe 3 is essentially requesting it to support being a standalone remote (or mix of standalone and not).

That idea was discussed pretty heavily in the original Home Assistant thread and on Discord. Last I knew, the idea was to not support a standalone mode as it would increase the cost and complexity and there are already existing solutions for most of the features that could possibly be done locally (e.g. IR blaster connect to Home Assistant).

My intention was to support home automation hubs. So being a standalone remote is not priority right now. However if someone develops an integration that handles standalone devices, it’s welcome, but I don’t know if it’s going to be too resource heavy therefore decreasing battery life.

So, thanks for joining to the discussion all. Love to see your different meanings.

From my side as addition:

1. i know that the Remote is currently based (and this is fully OK) as addition to an home automation hub. That is what @marton had in mind, when he created the remote and the (actual) remote is really awesome.
    Thanks again for you patience and work you put in it and you will put in it in the future!

2. Why i have put this input here:
    First of all:
    Because this should bring up a discussion all can join and don’t need to reread the Discord channel or the HA site completely.
    second:
    When this project is going to get bigger and bigger and the Hardware will be spread, it is currently only for the people that have a supported Home Automation hub or willed to code an implementation. When the Software is made stable and the hardware (i’m confident the Rasperry can do this) is working, A stand alone remote that uses Home automation hubs as extension open up the possibilities. Also can bring in the people that don’t like to get / build an hub for their homes.
    But like to have the sleek design and function of this remote.
    third:
    when such small parts like the WiFi IR sender from Niels de Klerk WiFi PRonto IR Sender or others are considered as room transmitter for the remote and can be automatically discovered by the software this would bring up a high benefit to the hardware. These or other small builds based on different Hardware (e.g. Bluetooth transmitter build by @Gilles (hope to get the right one) NEEO Bluetooth Driver ) can be also used to bring in more stuff.

Yes, Battery life can be drop, when more communication are made or more processes are handled directly onto the remote, but this can also be considered for future enhancements.

That’s why this topic was started. To bring it to the point:
Why use the Remote only as addition to a smart home Hub, when u also can consider the remote stand alone (and stand out) and using the smart home hubs as addition to itself?
So when u have hardware that is not yet supported, u always can use the integration of smart home hubs.

1 Like

@Tosko i have the feeling you are trying to say what will be in or will be out; that is why we have feature requests right? As a matter of fact, me and @marton discussed the topic and there might be room to fit an ESP32 in the base. This can indeed be combined with the IR sender from Niels de Klerk, and has both WiFi and Bluetooth on board. This would also enable beacon possibility (which in turn cuold allow the WiFi on the remote to be (entirely) off and have the ESP32 communicate with the remote via bluetooth).

I have also discussed to see if it could be possible to have some sort of SDK/hardware addition. For example; by default you now would show the setup screen (once) if you are starting it for the first time, but i am going to see if i can change the software so that you can add multiple hubs and maybe even ‘non-hub’ devices. For this you would have to write your own drivers, but having the possibility to discover non-hub devices would already be a big start.

Benefit of it would be that NO hardware change on the remote would need to be changed. MAYBE (if it fits) an ESP32 in the base, with IR-emitters but that could also be added later as a ‘replacement’ base. The rest, is software and that is the fun part of having it open source.

More and more people (also around me in the office) are seeing the benefits of this remote and i think we should make it smart enough to be extendible. First the remote, with a good battery life etc. etc. and maybe if it fits a blanco ESP32 (as option) with IR emitters in the base; the ESP32 is also open source and can be programmed with Arduino if you want to have it run your own software.

1 Like

Hi @Gilles, you are right. It’s not up to me whether something is in or out. I also would like to ensure you I never said that either or have the intention to do so. Merely helping where I can.

Again, I was me solely trying to understand the feature request and always talked about my opinion. I encourage every feature request as it is only in Yio Remotes positive favour. @marton also knows I don’t decide in anything in any way, in fact I run everything by him.

Sorry if that offended you or @Carp3-noctem in any way :sweat_smile: not my intention.

Either way, back on topic: like Marton stated the remote initially was intended to support home automation hubs. if that is going to change/expand with a stand-alone possibilities, I will be one of the first cheering :+1:

Hi guys,

My initial plan was to support home automation hubs, but talking to many of you I can see the benefit of having standalone features. I don’t want to lock anything out, rather be open to feature suggestions. The beauty of this project that it’s open source. The integrations are designed in a way that if they are not used they are not loaded. So if you don’t use maybe a more CPU hungry standalone integration, you won’t feel it on the battery life.

I talked with @Gilles about a possible ESP32 in the dock. I can see some other benefits other than the IR capability. Physically the dock is too small to have an esp board in there too, but that’s easy to change :slight_smile: The electronics part is easy and it might be even possible to just solder it onto the existing dock board. However I’ll work on a design which integrates it in a nice way :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Carp3-noctem this is exactly how I thought it should be designed also. And it seems it is in a way.
Martons approach is spot on, get the basic remote and connectivity available to as many Hubs as possible. This will drive sales and encourage developers to the platform.
I also agree that the remote needs to be able to connect to individual products/devices, not just hubs. As i once said to Marton, the remote may just need, for example, basic IR connectivity to AV products, so a customer may just need to add a Global Cache itach device or similar. This is very important to expand your range of consumers. Another example, we have customers who still just want to control their Sonos with a remote, this remote would be a perfect option for them.
But is seems from what @Gilles is saying this is what they are trying to achieve.
I also suggested future generation models (or a Pro version) that would have a Rasp Pi or similar in the charging station that could have any software running on it or devices connected to it. But I think for the time being to just get the remote and software up and running and working with as many Smart Hubs as possible. So long as the firmware/software allows for future individual device integrations we will be ok.

@Tosko definitely not offended. I love to get in touch with people at tech products and also love to see and read different thoughts about the situation. A Forum / Chat is always the best way to do this, when spread all over the world.
But you always lost the direct meanings and sign language when you do so, that’s why sometimes it can be read harsh but never intend to be so.
So, lets all keep happy and lets discuss, all opinions on all topic are helpful and bring benefit to everything here (at least that’s my opinion)

1 Like

Moved to GitHub:

1 Like