Yio Remote Community

Kit price, timeline, assembly

Hi guys,

I have been working really hard to figure out a price that has the most value. I have redesigned some parts of the housing to push the cost down, have been in contact with various vendors and I think finally got everything together.

So here it goes, the price for the kit will be (almost 99%) $264 + VAT = $330.
Shipping comes on top, but I have no numbers for that. Working on it.

What is included in the kit?
Parts for the remote and the dock

Remote

• Bead blasted and anodised aluminium housing
  • 3D printed back cover - SLS printed, Nylon 12 plastic from Shapeways
  • Laser cut smoked front acrylic cover - the part that covers the proximity sensor and sits around the buttons
  • 3D printed charging port insert that holds the pogo pins - SLS printed, Nylon 12 plastic from Shapeways
  • Custom made silicone rubber buttons with silkscreened icons and protective PU coating
  • 480x800 px, high resolution display with capacitive touch glass panel
  • Custom designed PCB
  • Haptic motor
  • Pogo pins for charging
  • Screws
  • Magnets

Dock

• Bead blasted and anodised solid aluminium body
  • Laser cut smoked acrylic top piece
  • Laser cut diffused white acrylic to cover the LED
  • Custom designed PCB
  • Magnets

Ask @Carp3-noctem, @Nklerk or @Coding_Lizard about the quality.

What is not included in the kit, but you’ll need:

• Raspberry Pi Zero W
  • 2500 mah battery. Recommended model
  • 5V, 3A capable charger with USB-C cable

This is a DIY developer kit and not a commercial product.
This kit is for those who want to build their own remote and like to tinker with things and have the skills to do so. If you are looking for an off-the-shelf product that you can just turn on and use, probably this is not for you.

This is an open-source project and I am trying to get the parts to those who are interested in it and would like to build one. Because of the number of interests (around 100), the price for the various parts are quite high and I am not really earning anything on selling 100 of the kits, but I am not doing this for the money in the first place, but rather to get the kit to those who are interested.

Hopefully together we could create a versatile open-source platform for controlling various home automation systems through a very well made DIY touchscreen remote. No cloud dependency, no closed systems.

What’s next?
I will use a crowdfunding platform to collect the orders and the money. When the 100 unit mark is hit, I’ll be able to order the parts. If not, maybe next time. I am looking into using a crowdfunding platform, because it’s safe for both parties. If the 100 orders not hit, nobody will get charged. But if it does, I could collect the money safely.

I need to create some materials (images, videos, assembly guide, etc.) to be able to create a kickstarter campaign. I am working on these now. My best estimate is that the campaign will go live around mid-November, end before Christmas. Then I’ll be able to order the parts and possible ship it off to you around end of March. I will work out a more elaborate timeline as we’re approaching the campaign launch.

How to assemble the remote and the dock?
There will be a detailed guide on how to put these things together, but here is a brief written version just so you know what to expect.

Remote

• Glue in the display into the housing
  • Glue in the acrylic cover to the housing
  • Glue in the charging insert to the housing
  • Glue in the magnets into the charging insert
  • Cut off the USB ports and the HDMI port off the raspberry pi
  • Solder the raspberry pi to the PCB
  • Insert the proximity sensor PCB into the housing
  • Insert the buttons into the housing
  • Connect the touch ribbon cable to the PCB (for this you’ll need tweezers and steady hands)
  • Screw the PCB to the housing
  • Solder wires to the haptic motor and then glue it into the housing
  • Solder the haptic motor wires to the main PCB
  • Solder wires to the charing pogo pins and then glue the pins into the charing insert
  • Solder the charging wires to the main PCB
  • Solder the battery to the main PCB

Dock

• Glue in the dock PCB into the housing
  • Glue on the acrylic top piece
  • Glue on the LED cover piece
  • Glue in the magnets into the housing

Seems like a lot, but it’s really not :slight_smile: Including the time to wait for the glue to dry, this is a nice weekend project to put together.

If you have any questions, please feel free to post it here.

6 Likes

:ok_hand: :+1: this is great! I’m in!

Whoooop! Count me in :slight_smile: I seriously can’t wait!

Should i’m again write, that i’m in?

Will do so:
I’m IN! :wink:

Great! Hope I can do assembly nicely, but what if the kickstart campaign going extremely well? Or you just set the goal for a limited amount?

@donsuper I’ll set a limit to around 100 (maybe a bit more) kits. That’s what I gathered for interest and I don’t want to deal with more than I can handle.

1 Like

Good approach. Will you invite forum members for a pre-sale? I read this post just after receiving a summary of this forum. I’d love to buy one, but am afraid I won’t be on time.

@Phaeton You’re not late. And this forum will be the first place where I post when the campaign is live :slight_smile:

1 Like

@marton Kickstarter has the disadvantage that you have to pay some percent of your funding to them, you would need to add this to your asking price to not lose money. Also there is a lot of negativity and vitriol in the comments sections, especially if there are delays (and there almost always are). Maybe eBay or PayPal could be options, IIRC at least one of them offers escrow to protect seller and buyer.

@maik The price includes the fee that crowdfunding sites take. I haven’t found a solution from PayPal, but maybe they have something. I’ll check again.

Kickstarter comment really can kill.

I’m interested !
Tell us when order will open !

1 Like

I am in, looking forward;-)

1 Like

J’en suis aussi
I Am in too

1 Like

Great! Count me in for at least two kits :grinning:

1 Like

Count me in for one kit