Yio Remote Community

RS232 interface

Is it possible (with some HW mods) to send any RS232 command/trigger to the dock ?

Thanks

1 Like

Hi,

Curious to understand the need for this ?
Also there is a rest api

Hi
A lot of professional or Homecinema systems “speaks” RS232.
Old protocol I agree but very reliable !

1 Like

With the current hardware, unfortunately it’s not possible to receive RS232 commands.

With the hardware you’ll be providing, no. You guys have a product to roll out now, and probably haven’t the bandwidth to think about another one right now. But–correct me if I’m being naive–with a Raspberry Pi and either a USB to RS232 adapter (not sure about driver requirements or availability) or something to translate Pi’s serial data to standard TTL levels, all the hardware we need is there. Pi can communicate by Ethernet and in some cases, Wireless Ethernet. Remote 2 speaks Wireless Ethernet. Most of us have a network infrastructure. All that’s missing is some code.

I have some coding experience but am by no means a programmer. Maybe someone in the community with more experience could help me come up with the code. If I did come up with it, I’d be happy to share it–for use, or critiquing and improving. Isn’t that what a community is for?

My goal would be a program I could plug into a manufacturer provided table of RS232 ins and outs and desired YIO UI mappings. Wouldn’t have to be a GUI, though that would be a nice luxury.

I want to stress again, as others have pointed out, this is not some esoteric wish. There are literally hundreds, if not even more, of pro and consumer audio and video, and automation devices in general, that use this interface.

p.s. everybody please vote for my feature request.

All (actual) uCs are able to do Uart communication!!!

Probably PCBs are fully designed / finished and they can’t add something else (level converter and connector). Maybe for an MK2 dock !

But… maybe the HW designer could give us some information. We could solder (of course at our own risk!! ) wires on TxD/RxD pin on the microcontroller and add the level converter outside the dock.

But It will be totally crazy to add a Raspberry to do RS232!!!

Again it’s a big mistake to forget this interface !

If the data stream is already available at the chip level and they’re willing to add the necessary interfacing (level shifting, line driver, optical isolation, DB connector, etc.) as well as write the necessary additional code then fine. It wouldn’t be ideal for me. For one thing, where I might place the dock for best IR coverage might not be right near the equipment rack–especially not in back of it–so I’d end up having to run a length of cabling.

Having a separate processor to translate between IP and RS232 may be redundant from an engineering standpoint, but it offers advantages. I don’t see it as crazy. It could be located anywhere with WAN coverage.

A general purpose networked interface would be a good product in my opinion. It could handle RS232, do contact closures including 12V trigger, on/off sensing, maybe even squirt out IR codes in a remote location. It could control dumb appliances like old fashioned lights, amplifiers, etc. But if the developers don’t have the time (we really want to get our stuff by July, don’t we?), with an open architecture they’re proposing it should be very amenable to DIY projects.

Doesn’t have to be Pi, could be Arduino (I think some of them have native Ethernet, but I’m not that familiar with them). Both are dirt cheap, especially compared to the “IPCache Box” someone else was proposing (and even with that, you’re still left with sorting out the code). Probably 90% of projects people do with Pi’s are overkill anyway. They’re power hungry, which was apparently the main problem with Remote 1. But cheap.

I totally agree ignoring RS232 is a mistake.