Yio Remote Community

Touchscreen not working - advice please!

I did as you state above. Not sure if this is progress or not.

001670.720: brfs: File read: 1638 bytes
001672.451: brfs: File read: /mfs/sd/overlays/goodix-fix.dtbo
001679.420: Loaded overlay 'goodix-fix'

i2cdetect now reads:

0  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  a  b  c  d  e  f
00:          -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
10: -- -- -- -- UU -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
20: 20 21 -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
30: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- 39 -- -- -- -- -- --
40: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
50: -- -- -- -- -- 55 -- -- -- -- 5a -- -- -- -- --
60: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
70: -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --

and dmesg now reads:

[    7.174245] Goodix-TS 3-0014: ID 911, version: 1060
[    7.174527] Goodix-TS 3-0014: Direct firmware load for goodix_911_cfg.bin failed with error -2
[    7.188167] i2c-gpio i2c@0: using pins 10 (SDA) and 11 (SCL)
[    7.223656] input: Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen as /devices/platform/i2c@0/i2c-3/3-0014/input/input0

but touchscreen is still not responding. Is the issue with the firmware not loading?

I did see a missing part of the pi:
Right beside the hdmi port and the big capacitor is an empty space where normaly another part sits. Dunno what this is for:

I’m currently only on my mobile phone so can’t check better.

I think it is progress. Could you check if you ssh into the pi and do this: cat /dev/input/event0 then touch on the screen. Do you see something appearing?

dmesg gives me the same about the driver actually, except for the address:

[    6.544346] Goodix-TS 3-005d: ID 911, version: 1060
[    6.544629] Goodix-TS 3-005d: Direct firmware load for goodix_911_cfg.bin failed with error -2
[    6.558643] i2c-gpio i2c@0: using pins 10 (SDA) and 11 (SCL)
[    6.592914] input: Goodix Capacitive TouchScreen as /devices/platform/i2c@0/i2c-3/3-005d/input/input0```

I tried cat /dev/input/event0 and nothing.

Good spot in the picture above!! It looks like I did f it up!! So I guess the next step is to swap out the Pi. I have another Pi Zero W and a desoldering gun in the post so I can try swapping the Pi out later in the week…although that be could the source of the HDMI errors?

I have no idea why it was all working perfectly and then just stopped though.

I don’t know for what the piece is, but it may be a current limiter or such a thing. And therefor it may be an issue. I can try to find more I fo about it, but this will take me a moment.

Looks like something is mixing up the interrupt pin. You can also try the suggested hardware mod in the hyperpixel issue thread: solder a 1Mohm/330k/150k resistor between the touch interrupt pin (PIN37) and 3.3V.

In this case, use the original goodix.dtbo file

Also check for shorts with the neighbouring pins around the interrupt pin(37).

No luck with the resistor. Changed it back to the standard dtbo file and it still appeared at 0x14. No shorts on pin 37 either.

What resistor did you use? You can also try soldering a resistor between pin 35(one below the one on the top) and 3.3V. That is the reset pin.

I used 1M as advised. I just tried a 1M also between pin 35 and 3.3v as advised but no change.

Do you maybe have 10k resistor to try with on both lines?

Yes, I have just about every value here. Okay so kinda progress. I got a touch event to register with a 10k between pin37 and 3.3v. It then stopped working. I fired up cat /dev/input/event0 and some garbled crap come out but also the remote wasn’t behaving - when i used the hard buttons to move left and right the main page wasn’t updating for instance so it was unstable.

With both resistors connected I got nothing.

It continues to appear at 0x14 btw.

Update went back to the single resistor and the touch is working.Update again… no it stopped working. :rofl:

Ok. Cool. So what resistor where? :slight_smile: just so we have the solution here.

I don’t know what happened. With the 10k between pin37 and 3.3V it work for about 5 seconds. When I went back to it it didn’t work anymore and now I can’t get it to repeat this behaviour.

Maybe 10k is not enough. Try with 100k.

Are you rebooting or cold starting between these trials?

It now seems like it is actually working!!! Although it did stop working for a bit then started working again. This is with 100k between pin37 and 3.3v. I’ll try upping the resistance if it doesn’t end up being reliable.

I was rebooting via the OK key.

Assume we’re fixing something I damaged in the install?

Thank for your help Marton, really appreciate the time you’ve taken.

Great to hear it’s working.

It very well could be that something happened to the pi and it is acting up by pulling the GPIOs down when it shouldn’t. Putting a resistor between those pins are “forcing” the interrupt pin to be high and the touch IC will pull it low, when there’s a touch event. I have never came across this particular issue during the time I’ve been using the remote and neither the others who were testing. But it’s good we figure it out! Thanks for your patience and support with debugging :slight_smile: