Yio Remote Community

Update 2019.07.18

Hi guys,

I have been quiet, but working on a lot of stuff. Let’s start with the (not so) bad news.

I had some problems with the charger IC on one of the boards. It started acting weird and died. I experienced the same behaviour with the version 1 remote boards. Maybe it was my design or bad IC or bad production. Lot of things could have been. So I have redesigned the board using a different IC and sent it off to production. Approximately 2 weeks and the new boards will arrive and I’ll continue testing.

Otherwise the hardware components are ready.

Meanwhile waiting for the boards, I’ve been active with the software part. So what has been done (big thanks to @ChristianRiedl):

• created an entity system and a general entity for easy and fast entity handling
  • created general entity for lights and blinds. These entities communicate on a higher level, so they can communicate with any integration. The integration handles the translation from high-level commands to the actual commands.
  • integrations can be added in QML or C++. The C++ integrations are loaded dynamically from shared libraries.
  • Home Assistant integration moved to C++ for improved performance
  • openHAB integration first steps
  • notification system implemented. Notification can be sent from both QML and C++ side.
  • UI update with design refinements and new features, animations
  • some code and logic cleanup

What’s next on my list in the coming 2 weeks:

• finishing up a mini media player and general media player entity
  • add climate component
  • add integration setup and handling to settings
  • add a webserver to buildroot config (for future easy config via web interface)
  • add bluetooth libraries to buildroot config (for future use and room detection)
  • update the website with more info
  • calculate the almost final price for the kit and do research how to do it

If you guys have any ideas, comments or suggestions to any of the above, please feel free to share it! :slight_smile:

Thanks,
Marton

Home Assistant is a bit slow with updating the blinds, but you get the idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My blinds can only go up and down and stop (somfy rts) they do not know how far they already went, is this also considered in the blinds component?

Yes. If no position is supported you’ll only see two states. Open or closed.

Every entity has a supported features attribute. The integration or you manually will set these. The UI and logic changes according to these supported features.

1 Like

Just wanted to share this. I’m super excited :slight_smile: Small features, but it has a big effect I think.

2 Likes

Sad hear of the power issues, is the base powered over a USB C connection?
Looking great. I think the position update is very respectful, remembering it is also due to the Hubs/Controllers update timeframe also, not just the remotes.
The UI is looking good, but I would still really like to see a basic colour selection option of backgound and labelling. Maybe a couple of themes if this is easier.
Good to hear a basic Media player entity is being created, this will be a very important feature.
Does the media entity have support for jpegs or video? For camera/intercom integrations.
Bluetooth is also a very good idea, as it shows future support for Homekit products is possible too.

Well done Marton and YIO team.

Thanks @AdrianLiteAutomation!

The USB is just a microUSB not a C.
Themes and that level of customisation could be nice and I am building UI flexible meaning that every color is stored in a variable, so it will be easy to implement that feature in the future.

Right now the entity supports displaying album art/movie posters. For intercom and camera integrations I think we should do a separate entity. It’s two different things after all.

Cheers,
Marton

Little update on the mini media player:

Slight delay from Home Assistant from my speakers, but it works :slight_smile:

Hi marton, looking great!

I have an older TV that is recognised as a media player by Home Assistant but it simply has no control (just feedback of on/off state). So I use scripts and an IP to IR bridge to control it. Will there be any way to do this with the yio?

Hi @tom_l! Thanks!

I am trying to figure out the easiest way to do what you describe. I also have a similar setup where I need to combine 3 devices into one remote. I have one that controls the volume, one the projector and one the apple TV, but I don’t want to switch between them. I have a hardcoded version I have been using and it works well. Now the hard part is to make it universal :slight_smile: But I hope I’ll come up with something.

1 Like

Glad to hear you have it on the roadmap.

Yeah I do not envy your task :grimacing: I am no help on the programming side unfortunately.

I’d be happy with just specifying the layout with a simple yaml file like this:

type: button_grid
title: 'TV'
entities:
  - service: script.television_play
    row: 1
    column: 1
    icon: mdi:play
    icon_colour: '#ffffff'
    text: {}
  - service: script.television_pause
    row: 1
    column: 2
    icon: mdi:pause
    text: {}
  - service: script.television_menu
    row: 2
    column: 1
    icon: mdi:menu
    text: 'Menu'
etc...

Fixed button styles to match your UI. Fixed maximum row and column numbers to fit the display but not be impossible to tap.

I have something similar in mind, but more like a visual editor. Just setting up a http server on the remote that you’ll be able to turn on/off for configuration. Then you’d be able to navigate to http://remote.local/ and have a nice interface on your computer to configure things. This is on the todo list but haven’t actually started on this just installed lighthttpd :slight_smile:

1 Like

That would be considerably easier (for us!) :slight_smile: