Yio Remote Community

Update on the dock + setup flow

Hi guys,

Lot of things happening around the project at the moment. Probably you’ve seen that @Carp3-noctem posted about his initial impressions about the remote:
https://community.yio-remote.com/t/the-yio-remote-a-small-journey/240/6

I’d like to say thanks to everyone who has contributed to the project at any level. I am super happy and glad that you find it interesting and see potential in it!

The dock
I made a test PCB with USB-C and an esp8266. The USB-C part was working, it got the 5V 3A max with the resistors. I still have to try it with a Macbook charger. If that works, than the power negotiation part is working, so it won’t matter what charger you use with the dock as long as it adheres to the USB-C standards.

The esp8266 part didn’t work out. Maybe it was a faulty chip, bad design from my side or something else. But while trying to track down the problem, I realised that using an esp32 would be a better solution to future proof the thing a bit more. So I’ve ordered another PCB with an esp32 footprint and when it arrives I’ll build that and see if that works out. I’m quite confident it will work.

The new dock parts arrived. 3D prints and the acrylic cover on the top, to let the IR signals out. Looks good, I’ll take some pictures soon.

There were also some improvements with the software setup flow. When the remote is turned on for the first time, it creates a Wifi network called YIO-Remote-macaddress and displays instructions on the screen. When you connect to that network, a captive portal pops up asking for your wifi credentials. After entering it, the remote connects to the network.

When the web configurator is ready, you’ll be able to continue the setup of the remote in the browser. Also mDNS (zeroconf) is being added to the buildroot config.

Cheers,
Marton

3 Likes

Just tested the new dock PCB with Macbook Pro and iPad pro chargers. In both cases the power negotiation worked and got 5V :slight_smile:

That means if the power supply is following USB-C standards, you’ll be able to use the dock with any kind.

An important function that many companies forget to test and implement because they are so fixated on the setup and integration, is the reset to factory defaults option. You need a simply method to both reboot and reset the remote in case it has any software issues.
Also test that if the initial wifi setup doesn’t work you can try again with a hard reboot.

The remote is looking great Marton and team. Love the new additions of USB C and IR with extender.

@AdrianLiteAutomation
To be sure, that is what i’ve had tested and there is currently no easy way to kill the remote with a single button, but this is allready on the roadmap (at least on mine). If you like to make sure that this will not be forgotten, you may open a Issue over at Github:
Github Issues

Ok,I’ll create an issue on GitHub. It’s an important feature that all products need.
No chance of using a two/three button hold for a reboot, then another button hold when rebooting to go to a reset screen? Similar to an android boot to recovery screen.

Power on and power off is done via the OK button. There is no need for recovery or anything like that, if you like to go from scratch, pull the SD card, reflash image and all is away.
Software update is done by remote itself, other handles are not yet avail (as far as I know) maybe @marton can tell more

I know what you mean @AdrianLiteAutomation with the reset. Right now there’s only a manual way to reset the settings, but it will be solved at some point. I feel like that is not the most high priority :slight_smile:

Also an update on the dock-remote communication:
Yesterday I managed to finish the remote part of the bluetooth communication. It works well, now I just need to put an UI to it and then it’s done. Will post a video soon.

1 Like

This is how the setup flow looks like with the dock right now:
https://vimeo.com/357913462

2 Likes

Looks great ! thanks for sharing this !

1 Like