Yio Remote Community

YIO The first encounter

Some of you might know me from other projects others might not. so i’ll start to kick off with what makes me tick.

Years ago i noticed a Kickstarter for a “Smart” remote, named NEEO. I saw the potential of having control over every device at home under your fingertips. As the world first NEEO owner i had a head start of a couple of months. this resulted is a couple of integrations build by me being available at the official launch. I have a lot of happy users running the integrations i’ve build and those therefore might know me a bit. I still use four NEEO remotes daily and although i’m happy with it, there is a dark cloud surrounding it. NEEO has been sold to C4 and C4 killed the development and continuation of NEEO. It’s cloud dependant and it’s just a matter of time before servers go down.

Enough about me and NEEO. lets go to YIO. I’ve been pointed to YIO by quite some people on a variety of social media channels. i’ve been following the project since then and i’m amazed how Marton pulled it of to be where he is now. It shows great character and dedication! The YIO was originally developed to work with Home Assistant and has seen many changes in the code to opt for more 3rd party integrations. more on that later.

I was asked if i would like to receive a unit for testing and developing by Marton, Last week i received a test unit. My first encounter with YIO was a nice surprise. It actually looks and feels like a retail product. It’s marginally bigger that the NEEO’s I own, YIO comes with a larger screen size while it still feels good when i’m holding it. I’m not impressed by the buttons though, they are a bit to gummy and pressure needed for a button click is a bit to high for my taste. they are still very usable and i would say they represent the average remote. The Display size is great, It’s not to big and certainly not to small, the picture quality is also good. even though it doesn’t show 32 Bit images (due to the available IO ports) it’s only slightly noticeable on the RGB color map for choosing a light color.

Setup was really easy. just plug in the dock to power. start the remote by pressing the OK button. follow the wifi setup instructions and voila, it’s done.

Feature wise the remote currently supports Lights, Blinds and media players. It’s not an impressive list but know that currently a lot of backend work is being pushed so that a large variety of other devices will be supported.

This brings me to development. Developing for YIO has a steep learning curve at the start. After some back and fore’s with Marton i was able to get started and beyond that it’s not all that difficult actually. So don’t let QT withhold you from building along. My first integration i’ve build is for Homey. Homey is my central brain of our home. and initial footage can be seen here: Homey integration alpha
I’m thinking about writing a KODI integration (https://kodi.tv/) and a HDA integration (https://hdanywhere.com/) but my primary focus will be the IR driver in the dock. and pushing Marton in building the required UI’s :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you for the feedback on the remote and I must say it’s good to have you on the team. Thank you @Nklerk for the help so far!

2 Likes

Welcome Aboard! Love the Integrations you have done so far. Also you where the main Driver, why i have a Homey Pro at home now!

2 Likes

After a couple of days using and developing for it I must say i got in love with this thing. Something subtle like haptic feedback while using a slider is an amazing experience. It really adds to the experience when you get instant feedback like that.

Now i’m more and more involved into development i see a really bright future for this project. I’m hoping others will help with the development so we can even move faster than the F1 car we’re riding now.

4 Likes

Awesome work Neils. I’m very much looking forward to get my hands on some units and testing them. Thanks for the homey intergation, and the IR support is essential for a remote.
You guys are doing a great job, thank you.

1 Like